POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Simulating calcite(Calcium carbonate), typical birefringent crystal Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:22:42 EDT (-0400)
  Simulating calcite(Calcium carbonate), typical birefringent crystal (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Jong
Subject: Simulating calcite(Calcium carbonate), typical birefringent crystal
Date: 25 Oct 2002 02:41:45
Message: <3db8e7a9@news.povray.org>
I might not have posted on a proper group. If I should have chosen the
povray.newusers, please don't hesitate to tell me as such.
Well, since I am still not very much acquainted with the POV-ray yet, I am
not sure whether this topic is rather absurd or not.
When a calcite crystal is laid on a page of newspaper, the characters would
form double images. The refractive indices of the clacite crystal are 1.6584
and 1.4864(n0 and ne, respectively)["Optics",p.337, Hecht]
Would it be possible with some effort to simulate this phenomena for
birefringent materials in the POV-ray 3.5?
Are there any such programs to support this function other than POV?

Thank you for your interest in this regard,

Jong

Post a reply to this message