POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Simulating calcite(Calcium carbonate), typical birefringent crystal : Re: Simulating calcite(Calcium carbonate), typical birefringent crystal Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simulating calcite(Calcium carbonate), typical birefringent crystal
From: Rohan Bernett
Date: 7 Nov 2002 02:00:16
Message: <web.3dca0c0e70cabf85b2769afa0@news.povray.org>
>Just to do double refraction wouldn't require much effort at all. (the
>dispersion feature already does a kind of multiple refraction, for
>example)
>Making it direction dependant would be harder, but not too bad.
>Simulating the other polarization effects would be quite difficult. The
>thing is, it is just very special-case...you aren't going to find many
>people interested in it.

Hmmm... Polarized light might be an idea for a feature to add. I've seen
some interesting effects as a result of using polarized light; things like
sticky tape can look really beautiful when viewed using polarized light.

Maybe it could be added to POV, but as you just said, it would be too
difficult to bother with.

Rohan _e_ii