POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Simulating calcite(Calcium carbonate), typical birefringent crystal : Re: Simulating calcite(Calcium carbonate), typical birefringent crystal Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:24:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simulating calcite(Calcium carbonate), typical birefringent crystal
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 27 Oct 2002 10:20:08
Message: <chrishuff-71386C.10124027102002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3dbbbb9e$1@news.povray.org>, "Jong" <jjk### [at] mmewhaackr>
wrote:

>   I myself was not able to figure how much effort should be needed to
> implement the Double Refraction or birefringent material simulation.
> Now, it seems to me that the simulation may well require team effort or some
> sort of 2003(or 2004?) Siggraph presentation type effort.

Just to do double refraction wouldn't require much effort at all. (the
dispersion feature already does a kind of multiple refraction, for
example)
Making it direction dependant would be harder, but not too bad.
Simulating the other polarization effects would be quite difficult. The
thing is, it is just very special-case...you aren't going to find many
people interested in it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/