POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Have I missed something? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:15:38 EDT (-0400)
  Have I missed something? (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Andrew Coppin
Subject: Have I missed something?
Date: 3 Oct 2002 07:19:17
Message: <3d9c27b5@news.povray.org>
OK, bare with me, I'm having a dumb moment here...

I notice that a number of images posted to this news server feature human
figures. (And/or evidence of sharp blades ;-) No one else seems suprised at
this, but every time *I* see an image like this, I just have to wonder....
How the hell do you make a human figure out of spheres and cylinders?!? Have
I missed something!?! Surely the human form is far too complex to recreate
this way... And yet, here are the images to prove it. As I said, no one else
seems suprised, so I'm obviously missing something critically significant
here...

Andrew.
"I know, I'm slow..."

Post a reply to this message

> OK, bare with me, I'm having a dumb moment here...
>
> I notice that a number of images posted to this news server feature human
> figures. (And/or evidence of sharp blades ;-) No one else seems suprised at
> this, but every time *I* see an image like this, I just have to wonder....
> How the hell do you make a human figure out of spheres and cylinders?!? Have
> I missed something!?! Surely the human form is far too complex to recreate
> this way... And yet, here are the images to prove it. As I said, no one else
> seems suprised, so I'm obviously missing something critically significant
> here...

There is a commercial program called Poser which is designed specifically
for the purpose of creating human forms. The 3D format that it produces
can be exported and converted (using 3rd party software) to POV-Ray meshes
and then used in POV-Ray scenes.

See also - http://freespace.virgin.net/peter.houston/POV-Ray/

--
Ken Tyler