POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : wicker basket Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:22:17 EDT (-0400)
  wicker basket (Message 15 to 24 of 24)
From: Chris Colefax
Subject: Re: wicker basket
Date: 15 Jan 2001 19:26:51
Message: <3a63954b@news.povray.org>
John M. Dlugosz <joh### [at] dlugoszcom> wrote:
> I'll start with the bottom.  This "surface" is then general-purpose and I
> can use for sides of things too, like hampers.  Then I'll design the
> more-open sides.
>
> I don't know the terminology you used, as I never took basket-weaving in
> school.  But I see the straight (not bent) sticks running in one direction
> give it strength, and flat ribbons weave among them using a high "tension"
> parameter.  I see a blob_spline can be flattened like a ribbon, but I
don't
> see an option for torus_pipe_spline.  You mean flatten the entire shape
> after defining it?  That means I'll need to pre-compensate the amplitude.

I (compulsorily) wove a few baskets at school when I was 10 or so - I would
suggest you don't take me as any sort of expert on the subject!

As for the flattening, this is why I suggested stretching in the horizontal
direction rather than flattening in the vertical, e.g. for a cross section
that measures 5 x 1 units, use a radius of 0.5 and scale by <5, 1, 1>
(presuming the spline runs in the +z direction, weaving up and down in the
+y).  Otherwise, you can use inverse spline transformations, e.g.:

   object {create_spline_object (MySpline, spline_scale (1/<1, 0.2, 1>))
      scale <1, 0.2, 1>}

This way you can define the shape of the spline exactly as you want it,
because the transformations cancel out any effect on the shape of the spline
path itself (but still change the shape of the cross-section).

Post a reply to this message