POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radiosity Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:12:23 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Andrew Coppin
Subject: Radiosity
Date: 15 Nov 2002 16:42:58
Message: <3dd56a62@news.povray.org>
OK, well, I've never tried to do a scene using radiosity before, so here
goes...

As I understand it, anything with a non-zero ambient setting will in effect
"glow". My experiments seem to back this up. Only trouble is, they don't
glow very much; I'm having to use things like "ambient 10" to get enough
light in my scene! (That's fine if the thing is white - doesn't work too
well for pastel shades though.)

Also, the images are very patchy. Now, when I just dunked an empty
radiosity{} block into my scene, I wasn't suprised that the defaults didn't
magically work perfectly. But... I've been fiddling with the settings for
ages, and it's still blotchey. I've managed to improve it quite a bit, but
it's still there. POV-Ray is obviously trying its hardest to smudge out
those pixel artifacts from the pretrace step... but now quite suceeding.

Oh, and about that pretrace step... It seems to interact with the normal
mosaic preview INI setting... Is this correct? Does changing the INI
settings affect the final image, or only the preview process?

Any help would be appreciated. I can post an image if it helps - but
basically it's a large empty room with a smallish opening in the roof that
lets in the light from a superambient object outside. My radiosity settings
at the moment are:

radiosity
{
  adc_bailout 0.01 / Cheat
  recursion_limit 5

  count 400
  nearest_count 7
  error_bound 1.5

  pretrace_start pow(2, -6)
  pretrace_end   pow(2, -9)
}

(It's a giggahertz CPU ;-)

Thanks.
Andrew.

Post a reply to this message

> Any help would be appreciated. I can post an image if it helps - but
> basically it's a large empty room with a smallish opening in the roof that
> lets in the light from a superambient object outside.
> [...]

This is never a good idea, you will need an extremely high count (probably
larger than the maximum of 1600) to get smooth results in such a
situation.  A high quality area light instead of the ambient object is
usually a better solution.

Christoph

Last updated 15 Nov. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

"Andrew Coppin" <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote in message

> As I understand it, anything with a non-zero ambient setting will in
effect
> "glow".

Well, diffuse value is key now in POV-Ray 3.5. Was ambient before.

> Also, the images are very patchy. Now, when I just dunked an empty
> radiosity{} block into my scene, I wasn't suprised that the defaults
didn't
> magically work perfectly. But... I've been fiddling with the settings for
> ages, and it's still blotchey.

Your error_bound needs to be lowered to something like 0.1 probably; higher
values can look okay sometimes and go faster but blotches can appear
readily, I think. The recursion_limit 5 might might be overdoing it, not
sure. I tend to keep to less than that, but for speed. And I also usually
use a lesser nearest_count, but these things either depend on the conditions
of the scene or personal preference.

> Oh, and about that pretrace step... It seems to interact with the normal
> mosaic preview INI setting... Is this correct? Does changing the INI
> settings affect the final image, or only the preview process?

If I remember right, the mosaic preview is only a visual thing and the
pretrace does the refining or sampling control.

Post a reply to this message

 "Andrew Coppin" <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote:

> As I understand it, anything with a non-zero ambient setting will in effect
> "glow". My experiments seem to back this up.

This is true.

> Only trouble is, they don't glow very much; I'm having to use things
> like "ambient 10" to get enough light in my scene! (That's fine if
> the thing is white - doesn't work too well for pastel shades though.)

That isn't a problem. If you think about it, the intensity of light at
the surface of a fluorescent tube is much higher than the intensity of
light reflecting from a sheet of white paper. These very bright values
are necessary and correct.
I don't know what you mean about it not working for pastel shades,
though.

> Also, the images are very patchy. Now, when I just dunked an empty
> radiosity{} block into my scene, I wasn't suprised that the defaults didn't
> magically work perfectly. But... I've been fiddling with the settings for
> ages, and it's still blotchey. I've managed to improve it quite a bit, but
> it's still there. POV-Ray is obviously trying its hardest to smudge out
> those pixel artifacts from the pretrace step... but now quite suceeding.

Well, it sounds like you are trying to light the scene entirely with
radiosity. This is possible, but it usually takes a bit of experience to
get right...you are starting out with one of the more difficult ways to
use radiosity.
There was a craze of radiosity lit images on these newsgroups a while,
try searching the *.binaries.images group for radiosity images.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message