POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radiosity : Re: Radiosity Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:24:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity
From: hughes, b
Date: 15 Nov 2002 18:09:45
Message: <3dd57eb9@news.povray.org>
"Andrew Coppin" <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote in message

> As I understand it, anything with a non-zero ambient setting will in
effect
> "glow".

Well, diffuse value is key now in POV-Ray 3.5. Was ambient before.

> Also, the images are very patchy. Now, when I just dunked an empty
> radiosity{} block into my scene, I wasn't suprised that the defaults
didn't
> magically work perfectly. But... I've been fiddling with the settings for
> ages, and it's still blotchey.

Your error_bound needs to be lowered to something like 0.1 probably; higher
values can look okay sometimes and go faster but blotches can appear
readily, I think. The recursion_limit 5 might might be overdoing it, not
sure. I tend to keep to less than that, but for speed. And I also usually
use a lesser nearest_count, but these things either depend on the conditions
of the scene or personal preference.

> Oh, and about that pretrace step... It seems to interact with the normal
> mosaic preview INI setting... Is this correct? Does changing the INI
> settings affect the final image, or only the preview process?

If I remember right, the mosaic preview is only a visual thing and the
pretrace does the refining or sampling control.