POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Parsing time Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Parsing time (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Joel Gilmore
Subject: Parsing time
Date: 12 Nov 1999 02:24:36
Message: <382CDAB5.C3FB86F9@mail.flashmail.com>
Hi all,
Well, I guess I'm kinda new to the rendering scene, but I've jumped
straight in, and started putting together a chess set.
Using my own pieces, I modeled a pawn, and put eight of them on a chess
board, added nice lighting (IMHO :) etc.  Then I decided to have a shot
at doing the Queen.  Using sPatch, I modeled a rather nice head, using
the lathe tool, then adding dimples around the top.
I exported to pov, but when I looked at the source code, there was over
5000 lines!  And when I render, it takes a bit over two minutes to just
parse the code.
Is there anyway to reduce this time?  Or, alternatively, get some sort
of a preview so that I can try and place it all accurately?  I could
perhaps export it to Moray instead, but I've already put together the
pawn and so forth in Pov, and I quite enjoy working with the source
code.
Thanks :)
Joel

Post a reply to this message

> Well, I guess I'm kinda new to the rendering scene, but I've jumped
> straight in, and started putting together a chess set.
> Using my own pieces, I modeled a pawn, and put eight of them on a chess
> board, added nice lighting (IMHO :) etc.  Then I decided to have a shot
> at doing the Queen.  Using sPatch, I modeled a rather nice head, using
> the lathe tool, then adding dimples around the top.
> I exported to pov, but when I looked at the source code, there was over
> 5000 lines!  And when I render, it takes a bit over two minutes to just
> parse the code.
> Is there anyway to reduce this time?  Or, alternatively, get some sort
> of a preview so that I can try and place it all accurately?  I could
> perhaps export it to Moray instead, but I've already put together the
> pawn and so forth in Pov, and I quite enjoy working with the source
> code.
> Thanks :)
> Joel

 Welcome to the world of raytracing. It is not fast but it is beautiful
when finished. I have done scenes that have over 150,000 lines of code :)
Really if you want to speed up your scene for position and testing purposes
you could make a dummy piece about the same size as the queen out of
say a cylinder or a box and comment out the other 5000 lines of code.
They will not be parsed if they are commented out and the box or cylinder
will parse very quickly. Once you have the coordinates established you
can transfer those to your real object and use that for postioning purposes.