POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Parsing time : Re: Parsing time Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parsing time
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 12 Nov 1999 07:05:12
Message: <382C0262.ABC434D5@inapg.inra.fr>
One solution is to export to DXF (low or medium resolution) and convert to
a mesh file (using Crossroads for instance). I've run comparative tests
some time ago on a 256 bezier patches / 2 Mo mesh and the mesh has the
following advantages : it parses faster, render faster, uses less memory,
it can be replicated in a scene many times with negligible memory overhead
(while replicating bezier patches more or less replicates the memory used
for each object), and it can be easily uv-mapped (if using a uv-mapping
syntax). The only negative aspect of meshes is the file size, which can be
huge. Since spatch lets you choose between several mesh resolutions, you
can do your tests on a small resolution mesh and use the medium (or high,
but these one are really big) mesh for the final tests. Of course, huge
meshes will take time to parse too. Mesh2 (Superpatch, UVpatch) meshes
parse much faster than official meshes.

Gilles