POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Parsing time : Re: Parsing time Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:28:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parsing time
From: Ken
Date: 12 Nov 1999 03:32:45
Message: <382BD064.10688A9A@pacbell.net>
omniVERSE wrote:

> Maybe the triangle mesh compressor can help:
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/pcm.html
> Check out about it all there. Since I don't have sPatch here right now and
> used it so little I can't confirm it will be of the correct form (sPatch
> outputs bicubic_patch is all I know of so if triangle output is possible
> guess that would be the one to choose) to be worked on by the mesh
> compressor. Surely someone else knows.
> Like Ken says the best way of previewing a lengthy parsing mesh would be to
> approximate the basic shape with primitives, there is also the command-line
> quality option +q# where # is 0 to 11, probably not a lot of help in this
> case.  Being one to prefer CSG rather than meshes guess I'm not really one
> to answer anyway. But I did, oops.
>
> Bob

The real reason the 5000 lines of bicubic patches is taking so long to parse
is because each patch is being individualy subdivided internaly in pov into
a triangle mesh object. If the 5000 lines of code equal say 900 patches you
probably have something like 50,000 triangles to compute the locations of.
I am totaly guessing on the actual numbers here though the approximations
are close enough to let you know why it takes so long.

Anyway I do not consider 2 min. a long parse time since I learned how to
use while loops. In fact I am usualy happy these days if I can get a scene
to parse in just under 2 min. :)