POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Curve calculation Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:14:20 EDT (-0400)
  Curve calculation (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Lewis
Subject: Curve calculation
Date: 23 May 1999 09:54:34
Message: <3747FA77.D1F9248B@netvision.net.il>
I'm starting to work on a nice little macro project (you'll see when
it's done). I need to be able to calculate a path using only several
points on it. For example, I get the coordinates of points A, B and C. I
want to calculate a position on a path that goes through A, B and C,
that is SMOOTH. That is, the path bends smoothly from A to C, going
through B, without sudden turns. I should be able to specify what level
of "bendness" I want, that is how smooth the path will be. It isn't as
easy as I thought in the beggining.

This can be very useful for the macro I'm going to write (it's just a
part), and will be totally cool if possible.

Any ideas?

Post a reply to this message

Give a look to B-spline, Beziers, TorePatch etc.
It is very easy to find a curve going from A to C, smoothly through B, the
point is there are to many such curves so you have to give more informations
about the curve you want (tangent at the starting point degree of the
smoothness (continuous function (not smooth), function with a continuous
derivative (usually smooth enough) or even more..)

If you have Moray you can try the trans and rotat primitives and play with
the spline type!

HTH
Philippe

>I'm starting to work on a nice little macro project (you'll see when
>it's done). I need to be able to calculate a path using only several
>points on it. For example, I get the coordinates of points A, B and C. I
>want to calculate a position on a path that goes through A, B and C,
>that is SMOOTH. That is, the path bends smoothly from A to C, going
>through B, without sudden turns. I should be able to specify what level
>of "bendness" I want, that is how smooth the path will be. It isn't as
>easy as I thought in the beggining.
>
>This can be very useful for the macro I'm going to write (it's just a
>part), and will be totally cool if possible.
>
>Any ideas?

Post a reply to this message

This doesn't help me much I need to know how to actually do it. The path
itself is what I need not an surface following it. Thanks anyway.

Post a reply to this message