POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : UDO file size limits? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:28:32 EDT (-0400)
  UDO file size limits? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Steve Clarke
Subject: UDO file size limits?
Date: 17 Aug 2000 16:08:45
Message: <399c464d@news.povray.org>
List,

I'm modeling a highly detailed F1 race car in Rhino 1.1 and exporting as a
Moray udo object.  I think I have encountered some limits in file size
because of the following:
If I export the entire model as a udo and attempt to render in Moray
3.2/Povray 3.1, I will get an error like this:

error: no triangles in triangle mesh
rear_susp_object62

I was able to locate 'object62.  Knowing what the object is I went back into
Rhino and exported a smaller portion of the model which included 'object62.
This time I was able to get a render with Moray/Povray.  This leads me to
believe that I may have run into some kind of limitation for the size of the
file.  Would this be the case?  Workarounds?

Thanks, in advance,

Steve Clarke
http://www.teleport.com/~sclarke

Post a reply to this message

> I'm modeling a highly detailed F1 race car in Rhino 1.1 and exporting as a
> Moray udo object.  I think I have encountered some limits in file size
> because of the following:
> If I export the entire model as a udo and attempt to render in Moray
> 3.2/Povray 3.1, I will get an error like this:
>
> error: no triangles in triangle mesh
> rear_susp_object62
>
> I was able to locate 'object62.  Knowing what the object is I went back into
> Rhino and exported a smaller portion of the model which included 'object62.
> This time I was able to get a render with Moray/Povray.  This leads me to
> believe that I may have run into some kind of limitation for the size of the
> file.  Would this be the case?  Workarounds?

What that error message usually means is that your mesh object(s) contained
nothing but degenerate triangles which POV-Ray will not accept. I have
seen this in the past when using 3DWin to convert between various formats
but only rarely.