POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : wishes for the animation plugin Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:27:36 EDT (-0400)
  wishes for the animation plugin (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Alex Wolff
Subject: wishes for the animation plugin
Date: 24 Jan 2000 02:16:55
Message: <388BFC70.5330@hrz1.hrz.tu-darmstadt.de>
hi xander,
i got one or two wishes for your great animation plugin:

1.
up to now, the interpolation between the keys can be:
step, linear and cubic.
i find it difficult to control the path when using cubic. is the
interpolation done with an x^2-function? what about trying with x^3?
(doing this with my self-written macros for povray, i got much better
results with nearly no "swing-over" (hope you know what i mean?)

2.
a "random-interpolation"
this is no real interpolation but it would be nice and helpful (i
think):
the values of the keys just tell the width of the random field (let me
call it worf):
for example: the object has a key-value of 5 for its x-translation. with
the "random-interpolation" the object is placed randomly somewhere
between 0 and 5. if there are more than one key (you ALWAYS have more
than one) the worf-values are interpolated linear.

3.
possibility to type in a mathematical function (this could be done in
the timeline-window).
f.e.: z_translate = sin (2*pi*current_frame)

4.
at the timeline (i know you are still working on) there could be the
possibility to set two (or more) paths (timelines)for an objects
transformation which can be linked with "+" or "*".
for example: the first path translates the object from x=2 to x=100
while the second path translates it between values of x=-0.5 and x=0.5.
link the two paths with "+" and the result is a main move with some
little extra zig-zags (like a flying insect or so)
i know the same result could be reached with only one path but if you
think about including wish 2 and/or 3, wish 4 will increase controlpower
very much.

well, i got warm while writting, so it's three or four wishes. never
mind...
alex

Post a reply to this message

> i got one or two wishes for your great animation plugin:
>
> 1.
> up to now, the interpolation between the keys can be:
> step, linear and cubic.
> i find it difficult to control the path when using cubic. is the
> interpolation done with an x^2-function? what about trying with x^3?
> (doing this with my self-written macros for povray, i got much better
> results with nearly no "swing-over" (hope you know what i mean?)

This is still an area that needs some work.  I use a pretty natural
cubic spline (x^3), with the parameterization based on time.  If you see
a lot of overshoot, it may be that you need to add a couple of keys to
smooth things out.

I'm looking into a way to specify tangents along the splines - it gets
messy though.

> 2.
> a "random-interpolation"

You just want a bunch of random values tossed in?

> 3.
> possibility to type in a mathematical function (this could be done in
> the timeline-window).
> f.e.: z_translate = sin (2*pi*current_frame)

That would be kind of fun.  I'd like quite a bit more functionality on
how f-curves are defined for interpolation.  Takes time.

> 4.
> at the timeline (i know you are still working on) there could be the
> possibility to set two (or more) paths (timelines)for an objects
> transformation which can be linked with "+" or "*".

Again, needs to be more flexibility on the types of curves.  Perhaps
exploit the plugin system to allow people to write plugins that control
animation values.

Xander

Post a reply to this message

> > at the timeline (i know you are still working on) there could be the
> > possibility to set two (or more) paths (timelines)for an objects
> > transformation which can be linked with "+" or "*".
>
> Again, needs to be more flexibility on the types of curves.  Perhaps
> exploit the plugin system to allow people to write plugins that control
> animation values.

that would get messy, especially as all programmer like to change things.

Rick

Post a reply to this message