POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : wishes for the animation plugin : Re: wishes for the animation plugin Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:30:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wishes for the animation plugin
From: Alexander Enzmann
Date: 25 Jan 2000 00:14:45
Message: <388D32EA.840ABA87@mitre.org>
Alex Wolff wrote:

> hi xander,
> i got one or two wishes for your great animation plugin:
>
> 1.
> up to now, the interpolation between the keys can be:
> step, linear and cubic.
> i find it difficult to control the path when using cubic. is the
> interpolation done with an x^2-function? what about trying with x^3?
> (doing this with my self-written macros for povray, i got much better
> results with nearly no "swing-over" (hope you know what i mean?)

This is still an area that needs some work.  I use a pretty natural
cubic spline (x^3), with the parameterization based on time.  If you see
a lot of overshoot, it may be that you need to add a couple of keys to
smooth things out.

I'm looking into a way to specify tangents along the splines - it gets
messy though.

> 2.
> a "random-interpolation"

You just want a bunch of random values tossed in?

> 3.
> possibility to type in a mathematical function (this could be done in
> the timeline-window).
> f.e.: z_translate = sin (2*pi*current_frame)

That would be kind of fun.  I'd like quite a bit more functionality on
how f-curves are defined for interpolation.  Takes time.

> 4.
> at the timeline (i know you are still working on) there could be the
> possibility to set two (or more) paths (timelines)for an objects
> transformation which can be linked with "+" or "*".

Again, needs to be more flexibility on the types of curves.  Perhaps
exploit the plugin system to allow people to write plugins that control
animation values.

Xander