POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Bowling Pin Surface and Texture Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:19:38 EDT (-0400)
  Bowling Pin Surface and Texture (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Tim Hutcheson
Subject: Bowling Pin Surface and Texture
Date: 14 May 1999 21:58:01
Message: <373cc699.0@news.povray.org>
As a newbie to 3D raytracing, I have been using a bowling pin design to
explore sPatch, Moary and PovRay.  I'm satisfied that I understand the
mechanics of using the software but would like to do a more realistic
rendering of the surface of the bowling pin now.  I see lots of
possibilities, of course, but which ones lead to good realism?  I'm thinking
of the color plate in the popular book on Renderman (name of book escapes me
right now) as an example.  This rendering is rather striking (pardon the
pun) as it includes just a tinge of yellow/off-white and numerous dents,
etc.

Has anyone reproduced this image?  I would love to see the sample code.

--
Tim Hutcheson
w4l### [at] bellsouthnet

Post a reply to this message

try to make to bowling pin white, and use a bump map to give the impression
of dents, maybe use a gradient texture for the pin, that way you can unclude
the red stripe.

dont worry about the yellow tinge, a combination of good lighting and
radioasity should take care of that. (assuming you are going to do a whole
scene, it bowling alley, ball, room, etc etc etc.

as i say, just may a bleach white w/ strip texture and render a few pins,
post it to bin.imag and take it from there.

Rick

Tim Hutcheson <w4l### [at] bellsoughnet> wrote in message
> As a newbie to 3D raytracing, I have been using a bowling pin design to
> explore sPatch, Moary and PovRay.  I'm satisfied that I understand the
> mechanics of using the software but would like to do a more realistic
> rendering of the surface of the bowling pin now.  I see lots of
> possibilities, of course, but which ones lead to good realism?  I'm
thinking
> of the color plate in the popular book on Renderman (name of book escapes
me
> right now) as an example.  This rendering is rather striking (pardon the
> pun) as it includes just a tinge of yellow/off-white and numerous dents,
> etc.
>
> Has anyone reproduced this image?  I would love to see the sample code.
>
> --
> Tim Hutcheson
> w4l### [at] bellsouthnet

Post a reply to this message

I've done the bowling type scene before, very compressed image at:
 http://members.aol.com/versecurse/lbowling.jpg
and someone else here at the did another also a while back, much better as
I recall. Might try seeking them out in the binaries.images group if you
can search far enough back.
If you want to see the pov scene file (not a moray file) for mine go ahead
and email me via the address below.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe