POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Bowling Pin Surface and Texture : Re: Bowling Pin Surface and Texture Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bowling Pin Surface and Texture
From: Tim Hutcheson
Date: 15 May 1999 11:19:31
Message: <373d8273.0@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the tips, Rick.  I'm going to try to add the red stripe this
morning and a logo of some sort.  Don't know the best way even to add the
stripe.  Is this an sPatch, Moray or Povray problem?  I mean I could add a
cylindrical band as a separate object (as a patch) or section the pin, in
sPatch, and color that in Moray.  But that will add surface anomalies. Or I
guess I could do it directly in Povray with code, which seems to be the more
mature way to go at it.  But that would mean rolling up my sleeves a bit
more and learning the language.  If so, I'm off to the bookstore to see what
povray books are there.

Obviously there are easy and direct approaches to this but it isn't clear
how to paint detail on an object as opposed to coloring and texturing an
object, which is straight forward.  When I lathed the bowling pin, I was
trying to create a toy problem to learn the right approaches to the general
cases that arise.  How would you proceed, other than to just have at it and
spend hours fiddling?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
--
Tim Hutcheson