POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Render started from within Moray about 20% slower than possible Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:16:26 EDT (-0400)
  Render started from within Moray about 20% slower than possible (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: smb
Subject: Render started from within Moray about 20% slower than possible
Date: 25 Feb 1999 01:34:06
Message: <36D4ED62.3D9DA912@stuttgart.netsurf.de>
I just found out per chance, as I wouldn't have guessed, that POV
does start about the slowest render possible, when triggered by Moray.
I took 3 different scenes in the range of 10sec. to 22sec. rendertime.
Switched off render to backdrop.
Set up in Moray and POVray the benchmark settings of skyvase.pov.
Did renderings from within Moray with POV settings gui- and render
priority to min and max switched. The rendertimes where identical,
for the bigger file 22 seconds average at 5 runs.
Left Moray open and loaded the file into POVray.
Did runs with priority settings slowest, came down to 22 seconds.
With settings to fastest, 17.5 seconds. On the faster files, renders
from Moray where slightly faster than worstcase priority settings.
Haven't tried with longer renders so far, should turn out about the
same. I mean, I get nervous if I see a machine that's 20% faster than
mine and the guy hasn't spend a dime extra for it, so I do start longer
renders from POVray now.

smb

Post a reply to this message

> I just found out per chance, as I wouldn't have guessed, that POV
> does start about the slowest render possible, when triggered by Moray.
> I took 3 different scenes in the range of 10sec. to 22sec. rendertime.
> Switched off render to backdrop.
> Set up in Moray and POVray the benchmark settings of skyvase.pov.
> Did renderings from within Moray with POV settings gui- and render
> priority to min and max switched. The rendertimes where identical,
> for the bigger file 22 seconds average at 5 runs.
> Left Moray open and loaded the file into POVray.
> Did runs with priority settings slowest, came down to 22 seconds.
> With settings to fastest, 17.5 seconds. On the faster files, renders
> from Moray where slightly faster than worstcase priority settings.
> Haven't tried with longer renders so far, should turn out about the
> same. I mean, I get nervous if I see a machine that's 20% faster than
> mine and the guy hasn't spend a dime extra for it, so I do start longer
> renders from POVray now.
>
> smb

  Having any other application open when rendering will steal CPU cycles
from the rendering process. The fact that Moray is sitting there waiting
on Pov to finish plus the overhead of a GUI intensive program like Moray
just adds to that burden. I wouldn't have a expected 20% difference but
it's possible. You said you also for the second test left Moray open then
loaded into Pov. I would be interested to see the difference if you had
Moray shut down altogether. On really long renders I shut every program
on the system down that I can and it makes a big difference in total
time.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net