POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Render started from within Moray about 20% slower than possible : Re: Render started from within Moray about 20% slower than possible Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:29:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render started from within Moray about 20% slower than possible
From: smb
Date: 2 Mar 1999 06:21:41
Message: <36DBC7B2.197FA15A@stuttgart.netsurf.de>
Lutz Kretzschmar schrieb:

> Hi smb, you recently wrote in moray.win:
>
> > I just found out per chance, as I wouldn't have guessed, that POV
> > does start about the slowest render possible, when triggered by Moray.
> > I took 3 different scenes in the range of 10sec. to 22sec. rendertime.
> > Switched off render to backdrop.
> You did use the INI file that Moray generates for that file, right?

Yup, just straight hitting the render button.

> I've had people wonder why POV was slower/faster when started with
> Alt-G only to realize that they had the POV file loaded.

Nope, hadn't loaded the file in POV.

> This makes
> POV render with the currently active settings, instead of the ones
> when Moray is loaded.

Yes, so I had identical settings for both apps, max_trace_level, etc.

> As long as Moray (or any other program that uses a GUI extension to
> get at pixels) is loaded, POV-Ray sends rendered pixels to it and thus
> will be slower.

Oops, that's hot to know. As far as I know, this is not documented in
POV,
or is it?
This should eat up a lot of time anyway. But, I guess, one could stop
this
by unchecking 'use guy extension' in POV. Will try later.
Did try, no, surprise, I had identical rendertimes from within POV,
Moray sitting beside it or not.

I sent a bug report concerning the TE not writing the path of a bitmap
for
POV, will there be a maintenance release not so far further down the
road?

> - Lutz

smb