POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Render started from within Moray about 20% slower than possible : Re: Render started from within Moray about 20% slower than possible Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:26:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render started from within Moray about 20% slower than possible
From: smb
Date: 25 Feb 1999 10:27:51
Message: <36D56A6B.A209FA9C@stuttgart.netsurf.de>
Ken schrieb:

> smb wrote:
> >
> > I just found out per chance, as I wouldn't have guessed, that POV
> > does start about the slowest render possible, when triggered by Moray.
> > I took 3 different scenes in the range of 10sec. to 22sec. rendertime.
> > Switched off render to backdrop.
> > Set up in Moray and POVray the benchmark settings of skyvase.pov.
> > Did renderings from within Moray with POV settings gui- and render
> > priority to min and max switched. The rendertimes where identical,
> > for the bigger file 22 seconds average at 5 runs.
> > Left Moray open and loaded the file into POVray.
> > Did runs with priority settings slowest, came down to 22 seconds.
> > With settings to fastest, 17.5 seconds. On the faster files, renders
> > from Moray where slightly faster than worstcase priority settings.
> > Haven't tried with longer renders so far, should turn out about the
> > same. I mean, I get nervous if I see a machine that's 20% faster than
> > mine and the guy hasn't spend a dime extra for it, so I do start longer
> > renders from POVray now.
> >
> > smb
>
>   Having any other application open when rendering will steal CPU cycles
> from the rendering process. The fact that Moray is sitting there waiting
> on Pov to finish plus the overhead of a GUI intensive program like Moray
> just adds to that burden. I wouldn't have a expected 20% difference but
> it's possible. You said you also for the second test left Moray open then
> loaded into Pov. I would be interested to see the difference if you had
> Moray shut down altogether. On really long renders I shut every program
> on the system down that I can and it makes a big difference in total
> time.
>
> --
> Ken Tyler

Yup, shure it does. I was more at the fact, that communication between
Moray
and POV should possibly be improved in that Moray hits better settings
there.
What I will do next, is compare setups for the texture preview render,
as it
is so comfortable to work from within Moray. Of course for longer
renders it's
best to shut down all other stuff. That goes even for all this
background gadgets
that one sees best opening the taskmanager.

smb