POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : IRTC participation shrinking? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 10:45:58 EDT (-0400)
  IRTC participation shrinking? (Message 10 to 19 of 49)
<<< Previous 9 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: IRTC participation shrinking?
Date: 15 Apr 2003 18:38:48
Message: <3e9c89f8@news.povray.org>
gonzo wrote:

> I haven't studied art, or had any formal training, but it's something that
> has always interested me.  But I got frustrated when I was younger because
> I could visualize things in my head that I couldn't make work on paper,
>
> And lo & behold, I discovered that all those scenes in my head from my early
> years were now possible after all!

As someone who has 'always known how' to draw, I find that fascinating.
I fact its working in three dimensions that I find to be a challenge.

Post a reply to this message

From: gonzo
Date: 15 Apr 2003 19:55:03
Message: <web.3e9c9945de75e32aa0c272b50@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:

>As someone who has 'always known how' to draw, I find that fascinating.
>I fact its working in three dimensions that I find to be a challenge.

Interesting!  Actually, I could always draw well, what was frustrating to me
was getting shading and coloring to look the way I wanted.  (The same
issues as CG... lighting & texturing!)  I always wanted realistic detail
that was simply beyond my drawing skills to produce.

But getting that is so much easier in 3d.  Not to say that lighting is
easy... but in 2d you have to visualize the highlights and shadows, then
figure out how apply them onto the subject accurately.  In 3d, you don't
highlight the objects, you simply move the light around, the highlights &
shadows will follow!

And not to say the objects aren't important too, but in 2d its all one and
the same; you draw the objects, and then color them and the highlights and
the shadows are all together as part of the coloring process.  In 3d, I can
work on the models and textures separately, combine them in a scene, and
then worry about lighting.

And in 3d if I don't like something, I can change it. That in itself adds a
lot to my creativity, because a scene is dynamic.  I may see something
halfway through a project that changes my whole perspective and I change
the scene to fit my new perspective.  In 2d that's called a lot of wasted
paper/canvas/enter_medium_of_choice.

RG

Post a reply to this message