POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : IRTC participation shrinking? : Re: IRTC participation shrinking? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 22:07:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC participation shrinking?
From: Shay
Date: 16 Apr 2003 10:31:26
Message: <3e9d693e@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] aolcom> wrote in message

| Shay:
|  The real question is why you submit your entries to the IRTC.
|
| Jim Charter:
|  I am conscious that my best answers to this question are evasive.

*Very* cool sentence. When I first read it, I read "I am conscious that
my best answers to this question are elusive." It wasn't until I began
to read your second paragraph that the true meaning set in. Of course,
by calling attention to it, I've destroyed the subtlety for anyone else,
but I couldn't resist.

| Jim Charter:
|  I looked up your entry.

Now I feel a little disadvantaged<g>, your having seen the entirety of
my IRTC participation. I looked up your 'Loneliness' entry. What other
rounds have you entered?

| Jim Charter:
|  I typically only comment on about 1/3 of the entries anyway.

In the one round I entered, I made the commitment to comment on every
entry. It was very difficult for the same reason that I have not
commented on most of the threads in this group. I'm simply not
qualified. I know absolutely nothing about lighting an outdoor scene,
having never done one. The only other contributions I could make would
be a useless description of my concept of how a waterwheel picture
should look and an equally useless comparison of the picture to my
concept.

| Jim Charter:
|  Rereading my comments just now, my first reaction was that I
|  must have been hallucinating.

Your comments were actually really appreciated. You were one of the few
who understood that I had chosen elements consciously. The *only* think
I really want anyone to understand about a picture is that it was
created purposefully.

| Jim Charter:
|  <snip comments>

Thank you for sharing your reaction. I'm tempted to send in my next
entry without a topic description. Partly because I'm not sure I can
communicate what I'm trying to do in a few paragraphs, if at all. I'm
curious what type of reactions I would get as well. I'll likely submit
one however, even though I believe that a picture should be complete
without a description, because each entry is viewed for only a few
seconds, and a topic description can help to accelerate comprehension.

| Jim Charter:
|  After reading your description I can understand why you found
|  some of the criticisms annoying.

Hell, I appreciate any comment someone is willing to take the time to
post. There is one comment in particular that I wish were included in my
comment file for perpetuity. I received this in an email: (remembering
that 'Landscapes' was the topic) "I just wanted to see more height
fields and less people trying to be creative."<g>

 -Shay