POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Suggestion fora new feature in POV-Ray Server Time
27 Apr 2024 07:26:02 EDT (-0400)
  Suggestion fora new feature in POV-Ray (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Saul Luizaga
Subject: Suggestion fora new feature in POV-Ray
Date: 22 Jan 2008 22:23:41
Message: <4796b33d@news.povray.org>
make an option to use the current or neXtgen IDEs, or I'm asking too
much? please let me know in either case.

Best Regards.

Saul

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Suggestion fora new feature in POV-Ray
Date: 23 Jan 2008 09:15:00
Message: <web.47974bb92893557ff48316a30@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> make an option to use the current or neXtgen IDEs

what is that supposed to mean?  Do you mean to use an IDE to type povray SDL
code?  What has povray the renderer to do with that?  Povray even comes with a
pretty nice IDE on its own on Windows.

Povray SDL is just a programming language and if there is a plugin for some IDE
which handles povray SDL, then go for it.  Vim is a text editor and it already
comes packed with a pretty nice syntax highlight mode for povray SDL.  Couple
that with vim's textual completion facilities and macros and you're sold.
There's also a plugin for Eclipse which handles povray SDL -- Povclipse.  Not
to count visual modellers, not IDEs, which either export a povray scene file or
nicely integrates with it -- Blender and Wings3D the former, KPovModeller and
Moray the latter...

Povray has nothing to do with any of these projects.  And it shouldn't.

Post a reply to this message

> Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>> make an option to use the current or neXtgen IDEs
>
> what is that supposed to mean?  Do you mean to use an IDE to type povray SDL
> code?  What has povray the renderer to do with that?  Povray even comes with a
> pretty nice IDE on its own on Windows.
>
> Povray SDL is just a programming language and if there is a plugin for some IDE
> which handles povray SDL, then go for it.  Vim is a text editor and it already
> comes packed with a pretty nice syntax highlight mode for povray SDL.  Couple
> that with vim's textual completion facilities and macros and you're sold.
> There's also a plugin for Eclipse which handles povray SDL -- Povclipse.  Not
> to count visual modellers, not IDEs, which either export a povray scene file or
> nicely integrates with it -- Blender and Wings3D the former, KPovModeller and
> Moray the latter...
>
> Povray has nothing to do with any of these projects.  And it shouldn't.

OK, let me explain why I suggested this:
-neXtgen is a IDE for POV-Ray, so is dedicated to interact with POV-Ray
and ONLY with POV-Ray. SO I thought since I have tryed and is nice, I
would like to use the editor but have POV_Ray handy, the obvious
solution is to integrate neXtgen into POV-Ray as an alternative built-in
editor.

  I know that this should be ALOT more difficult than I can think of,
that's why I wanted to know either way, if it was feasible or not. I
guess not since looks like POV 4 is taken a lot of time and effort from
the POV-Team. I just suggested in case they wanted it as an alternative
editor since the POV-Team is making a "new" POV-Ray, remaking
copyrighted source, so this could be inserted in this stage of POV-Ray's
development I presume, since CODEMAX is a commercial plug-in doanted to
POV-Ray.

Regards.Saul.

Post a reply to this message