POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Suggestion fora new feature in POV-Ray : Re: Suggestion fora new feature in POV-Ray Server Time
9 May 2024 14:28:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestion fora new feature in POV-Ray
From: nemesis
Date: 24 Jan 2008 13:25:00
Message: <web.4798d7e12893557ff48316a30@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> But what I meant is that the editor could be more
> than just a start or stop of POV-Ray, could be a config manager(memory,
> defaults, output format, etc) and all other stuff a normal IDE does,

A config manager could just write a configuration file and pass that on to
povray.

> figured that both passed info to each other in special may: with shared
> variables or other data structures directly in memory.

It may sound neat, but is just another burden.  You'll need to store user
preferences in some file anyway, so why not just pass that to the external
program?

> 1) DDE is sucha practice?

I'm not used to it, but it seems like a Windows specialized API for graphical
program developers who are too lazy to deal with command-line.

> 2) Why does windows have sucha implementation for programs?

Windows has its own ways of doing things.  They're specially good at reinventing
the wheels just in order to break compatibility with the way other platforms do
it.

> 3) and to complete the previous question. What are the most effective
> ways to pass parameter without using a command line. Command line looks
> like rustic/rough way to pass data to another program, should both
> programs communicate with each other directly in memory?

Command-line is not rustic:  it's a quick way to ask the program to behave in
certain ways without having to editing config files, to use a graphical dialog
box or  by modifying source code.  It's also great for assembling quite useful
scripts and utilities without coding a complete new application.

You can certainly use some component application server or simply some DLL and
communicate through API calls in memory rather than via slower IO interprocess
communication calls.  It's just not worth the trouble when the task at hand is
essentially a batch one rather than an interactive one.