POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Suggestion fora new feature in POV-Ray : Re: Suggestion fora new feature in POV-Ray Server Time
9 May 2024 15:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestion fora new feature in POV-Ray
From: LarryC
Date: 27 Mar 2009 09:00:01
Message: <web.49cccd992893557fad22a0750@news.povray.org>

features / integrations.

keywords, operators, etc. that could be used by syntax coloring editors or
command completion editors.

across processes or machines.  Maybe they would take a stream that contained
simplified parameters such as file names, computers, max rendering times,
sizes, quality, etc and would generate an output stream containing command
lines to accomplish that.

Assemble, Progress.  Start might invoke processes and simply stream output with

use that streamed output to perform their functions.

allow for easier reuse.  It might have options like recursive to get
sub-objects/attributes.  This can be done by hand, but when assembling an
object means searching and extracting relevant text from ever increasing
numbers of source files, a utility seems useful.  Also adding rendering
throw-away metadata tags could greatly extend the usefulness of these
operations.  Maybe keywords like: Name, Description, Author, Category, Type,

lot and get a lot of noise.

the idea of scene or file level metadata tags, this could allow managing SDL
files much quicker.  Consider just the sample scenes.  Finding if one of those
scenes has a specific asset is an exercise in memory and perseverance.  This
nests nicely with the above utility for extracting the asset once found.  In
addition having these capabilities would allow for indexers to enhance the
speed of reuse for an asset.  This could even be used to extend the existing
#include to provide location independent file inclusion.  This could further be
enhanced by having one or more XML/ini files containing library locations and
descriptions for my installation.  This would work on the same lines as Library
Paths, but could extend it.  Currently libraries paths are searched in the order
they are listed.  If library paths were named, you could perhaps include a file
something like: fantasy:lighting.pov.  Where fantasy might end up being a

Anyway, just my thoughts.  If any of the ideas seem useful, I would be willing
to work on cross platform versions of them.  Being a bit of a casual PovRay
user I could use help with locating any existing similar GPL projects and with
additional ideas for extending their usefulness / reusability.