POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New CA Simulation Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  New CA Simulation (Message 59 to 68 of 88)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Thanks!
Date: 3 Feb 2011 05:08:48
Message: <4d4a7eb0$1@news.povray.org>
> It's the edge technique described in Milkdrop's preset authoring page.

 From what I can tell, very little is actually *described* in the
Milkdrop documentation.

> When used carefully, you can produce reaction/diffusion and "skin dot"
> effects.

Yeah, you can do all kinds of really funky stuff with systems of
differential equations, and the graphics hardware is pretty much
designed for this type of number crunching.

> Evidently there are some security issues involved with allowing an
> applet to access graphics hardware, which is likely the reason the new
> version of JRE is so intolerant.

I can't imagine what the possible security risk could be...

>> I wish to God I could figure out how half of Milkdrop works. There are
>> some amazing 3D effects which cannot be done in realtime, and yet it
>> does them in realtime, even though that's clearly impossible.
>
> It's really not that difficult to learn (mastering it OTOH...). It draws
> graphics (shapes, dots) to a texture residing on a screen-wide...

Oh, yeah, I get how a graphics card works. What I can't figure out is
how some of the effects that Milkdrop generates are mathematically
possible. Figuring out the math is the hard part; actually making the
hardware do it is usually quite simple.

Post a reply to this message

>> It's the edge technique described in Milkdrop's preset authoring page.
>
>  From what I can tell, very little is actually *described* in the
> Milkdrop documentation.

It's enough to get a person going with preset authoring.

>>> I wish to God I could figure out how half of Milkdrop works. There are
>>> some amazing 3D effects which cannot be done in realtime, and yet it
>>> does them in realtime, even though that's clearly impossible.
>>
>> It's really not that difficult to learn (mastering it OTOH...). It draws
>> graphics (shapes, dots) to a texture residing on a screen-wide...
>
> Oh, yeah, I get how a graphics card works.

Actually, I was describing what /Milkdrop/ does with a graphics card.
All VJ'ing apps are pretty similar, I think.

> What I can't figure out is
> how some of the effects that Milkdrop generates are mathematically
> possible.

OK, you're going to have give me an example... give it over! Pick a
preset from Milkdrop's standard distribution that epitomizes this
nearly-impossible effect, and I'll tell you how I *think* it's done.
Maybe other, more knowledgeable people will join in as well, and we can
get to the bottom of this thing ;)

Sam

Post a reply to this message