POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New CA Simulation : Re: Thanks! Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thanks!
From: stbenge
Date: 3 Feb 2011 15:42:50
Message: <4d4b134a@news.povray.org>
On 2/3/2011 11:37 AM, Darren New wrote:
> stbenge wrote:
>> Ah, so /that's/ the point. I *knew* there had to be some reason behind
>> it. But... aren't there file-hosting servers a person can use in
>> conjunction with free website companies that would make anonymously
>> distributing applets possible?
>
> Distributing signed code via MS technologies requires you to get your
> signature from MS, at least in many cases. Bascially, you buy a normal
> web cert from a CA that MS trusts (any of several of the big ones), and
> then sign an empty ActiveX file with it, and send that to MS along with
> your public key, and MS signs the public key and sends it back. You
> can't just use a self-signed cert, at least for most of the stuff I've
> seen that deal with certs.

It would seem that Sun doesn't require the purchase a web certification,
which is good for me since I don't plan on selling anything.

Hey, you seem knowledgeable about these things. I'm looking into using a
file-hosting service to free up more space for my (future) site. Do you
know of a good service that will allow me to store Java applets and use
them directly in my pages? My ISP gives me a measly 5MB site space (you
would think they'd be more generous, since I'm paying $20/mo for 24Kbps
dialup), so to post more content I must rely on file-hosting services.
I'm confident that I can use Photobucket for my images, but Java applets
might be a little more difficult to get working.

I think that if I can get away with using my 5MBs for only HTML/CSS, I
can stop worrying about running out of (my preciousss) space.

Sam