POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New CA Simulation : Re: Thanks! Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:15:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thanks!
From: stbenge
Date: 3 Feb 2011 14:15:05
Message: <4d4afeb9@news.povray.org>
On 2/3/2011 2:08 AM, Invisible wrote:
>> It's the edge technique described in Milkdrop's preset authoring page.
>
>  From what I can tell, very little is actually *described* in the
> Milkdrop documentation.

It's enough to get a person going with preset authoring.

>>> I wish to God I could figure out how half of Milkdrop works. There are
>>> some amazing 3D effects which cannot be done in realtime, and yet it
>>> does them in realtime, even though that's clearly impossible.
>>
>> It's really not that difficult to learn (mastering it OTOH...). It draws
>> graphics (shapes, dots) to a texture residing on a screen-wide...
>
> Oh, yeah, I get how a graphics card works.

Actually, I was describing what /Milkdrop/ does with a graphics card.
All VJ'ing apps are pretty similar, I think.

> What I can't figure out is
> how some of the effects that Milkdrop generates are mathematically
> possible.

OK, you're going to have give me an example... give it over! Pick a
preset from Milkdrop's standard distribution that epitomizes this
nearly-impossible effect, and I'll tell you how I *think* it's done.
Maybe other, more knowledgeable people will join in as well, and we can
get to the bottom of this thing ;)

Sam