POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New CA Simulation : Re: Thanks! Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:14:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thanks!
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Feb 2011 19:14:44
Message: <4d4b44f4@news.povray.org>
stbenge wrote:
> It would seem that Sun doesn't require the purchase a web certification,
> which is good for me since I don't plan on selling anything.

Yep. It also brings up that whole responsibility thing. Why do they make you
sign it if they're not going to do even a nominal check on the signature, I
wonder? :-)

> Hey, you seem knowledgeable about these things. I'm looking into using a
> file-hosting service to free up more space for my (future) site. Do you
> know of a good service that will allow me to store Java applets and use
> them directly in my pages?

Last I looked (and that was a while ago), Java applets had to be served from
the same host the HTML that embeds them come from.

Myself, I use amazon.com's s3 service for sloshing web files around. You can
set the content type as you need it there, make stuff public or private,
etc, and it's super cheap. (I think I wind up payin <$2/month to store all
the random crap up there I have.)  There's no execution, you can't easily
put a home page on it (since http://..../ doesn't default to redirecting to
http://..../index.html or anything like that), and as I said the applet
probably has to come from the same place as the html.

That said, you could put an HTML page up on your expensive host that's
simple meta-refresh redirect to an HTML page on amazon that references the
applet.

> I think that if I can get away with using my 5MBs for only HTML/CSS, I
> can stop worrying about running out of (my preciousss) space.

I don't really do anything web-sophisticated on my own dime any more, so I'm
kind of out of date on the options.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"