POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New CA Simulation : Re: Thanks! Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:13:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thanks!
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Feb 2011 05:08:48
Message: <4d4a7eb0$1@news.povray.org>
> It's the edge technique described in Milkdrop's preset authoring page.

 From what I can tell, very little is actually *described* in the
Milkdrop documentation.

> When used carefully, you can produce reaction/diffusion and "skin dot"
> effects.

Yeah, you can do all kinds of really funky stuff with systems of
differential equations, and the graphics hardware is pretty much
designed for this type of number crunching.

> Evidently there are some security issues involved with allowing an
> applet to access graphics hardware, which is likely the reason the new
> version of JRE is so intolerant.

I can't imagine what the possible security risk could be...

>> I wish to God I could figure out how half of Milkdrop works. There are
>> some amazing 3D effects which cannot be done in realtime, and yet it
>> does them in realtime, even though that's clearly impossible.
>
> It's really not that difficult to learn (mastering it OTOH...). It draws
> graphics (shapes, dots) to a texture residing on a screen-wide...

Oh, yeah, I get how a graphics card works. What I can't figure out is
how some of the effects that Milkdrop generates are mathematically
possible. Figuring out the math is the hard part; actually making the
hardware do it is usually quite simple.