POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Brain fail Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Brain fail (Message 1 to 10 of 41)
From: Invisible
Subject: Brain fail
Date: 11 Feb 2010 10:59:44
Message: <4b742970$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so I'm currently failing to figure this out...

How do you compute the smallest possible (axis-aligned) bounding box for
an ellipse (which is not necessarily axis-aligned)?

Apparently such an ellipse can be represented as

   X(t) = Xc + A cos t cos K - B sin t sin K
   Y(t) = Yc + A cos t sin K + B sin t cos K

Clearly you need to find the minimum and maximum values for X(t) and
Y(t). But I am apparently too stupid to do this. (And even Wolfram Alpha
can't work it out. Oh, it'll give me the answer if I remove all the
symbolic constants with actual numbers, but that's no help at all...)

It strikes me that the sum of two sine waves of identical frequency is
another sine wave, but I can't seem to apply this fact to obtain a result.

Post a reply to this message

> OK, so I'm currently failing to figure this out...
>
> How do you compute the smallest possible (axis-aligned) bounding box for
> an ellipse (which is not necessarily axis-aligned)?
>
> Apparently such an ellipse can be represented as
>
>   X(t) = Xc + A cos t cos K - B sin t sin K
>   Y(t) = Yc + A cos t sin K + B sin t cos K
>
> Clearly you need to find the minimum and maximum values for X(t) and
> Y(t). But I am apparently too stupid to do this.

When you're looking for the maximum or minimum of a function the first
thing to look for is in general a zero in the derivative.

For example for X:

dX/dt = - A cos K sin t - B sin K cos t
so dX/dt = 0 => A cos K sin t = - B sin K cos t
or assuming A cos K  and cos t are not null (you could make special
cases if needed)
tan t = -B/A tan K

so the bounds for X are
X0 = X( atan(-B/A tan K) )