POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Brain fail : Re: Brain fail Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:17:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brain fail
From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 11 Feb 2010 11:24:48
Message: <4b742f50$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> OK, so I'm currently failing to figure this out...
>
> How do you compute the smallest possible (axis-aligned) bounding box for
> an ellipse (which is not necessarily axis-aligned)?
>
> Apparently such an ellipse can be represented as
>
>   X(t) = Xc + A cos t cos K - B sin t sin K
>   Y(t) = Yc + A cos t sin K + B sin t cos K
>
> Clearly you need to find the minimum and maximum values for X(t) and
> Y(t). But I am apparently too stupid to do this.

When you're looking for the maximum or minimum of a function the first
thing to look for is in general a zero in the derivative.

For example for X:

dX/dt = - A cos K sin t - B sin K cos t
so dX/dt = 0 => A cos K sin t = - B sin K cos t
or assuming A cos K  and cos t are not null (you could make special
cases if needed)
tan t = -B/A tan K

so the bounds for X are
X0 = X( atan(-B/A tan K) )