POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Brain fail : Re: Brain fail Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:14:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brain fail
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Feb 2010 13:43:31
Message: <4b75a153$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Only a few of the possible rules are Turing-complete.

I fully understand exactly what he's saying. I'm simply denying that he's
correct, on the grounds that he does an infinite amount of setup before he
even starts running the CA.  If he came up with a small rule that would
create the initial pattern in a finite number of steps, then maybe it would
make more sense. But as he described it, he needs to set up an infinite
number of clock pulses before starting the emulation in order to clock the
emulation. I'm not sure that's allowed, any more than it's allowed to set up
an infinite pattern of states on a turing machine before starting.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do