POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Brain fail : Re: Brain fail Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brain fail
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 12 Feb 2010 13:22:08
Message: <4b759c50$1@news.povray.org>
>> Exhibit B: Rule 30 can be stated in 8 equations. Oh, did I mention?
>> It's Turing-complete. It can compute any computable function.
>
> You know, he says that, but I'm pretty sure a CA with an infinite amount
> of initialization counts as Turing-equivalent.

The point being that some rules can't emulate a Turing machine, while
others can. E.g., rule 0 maps every possible input to 0, so you can't do
very much with that. Rule 2 maps each 1-bit input to the same output.
And so on. Only a few of the possible rules are Turing-complete.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/