POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 99 lines of C++ for an unbiased ray tracer Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:18:43 EDT (-0400)
  99 lines of C++ for an unbiased ray tracer (Message 51 to 60 of 65)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 5 Messages >>>
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: 99 lines of C++ for an unbiased ray tracer
Date: 15 Jan 2010 11:50:39
Message: <4b509cdf@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

> That image is the result of 30 minutes of
> rendering in my computer (a virtually grainless result would have taken
> days).

Or a GPU implementation...

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 15 Jan 2010 11:50:44
Message: <4b509ce4$1@news.povray.org>
Warp escreveu:
>>>   I have hard time deciding whether that was humorous or a serious question.
>
>> serious.  Did you put right where the left sphere surface would hit?
>
>   Unbiased monte-carlo rendering sends rays in a random fashion. It starts
> extremely grainy, but the graininess gets reduced over time as the number
> of samples gets increased. That image is the result of 30 minutes of
> rendering in my computer (a virtually grainless result would have taken
> days).

I know.  I'm concerned about that huge circular, pure white light
artifact next to the wall, aren't you?  Looks like a bug, which is why I
thought you posted the picture.

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 15 Jan 2010 11:53:04
Message: <4b509d70@news.povray.org>
Warp escreveu:
> That image is the result of 30 minutes of
> rendering in my computer (a virtually grainless result would have taken
> days).

and no, you don't need days to get grainless result anymore than what
you would need with povray and area lights and radiosity.  Specially for
such a simple scene.  Though a pure simplified path tracer is very slow.