POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 99 lines of C++ for an unbiased ray tracer : Re: 99 lines of C++ for an unbiased ray tracer Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 99 lines of C++ for an unbiased ray tracer
From: nemesis
Date: 15 Jan 2010 13:37:37
Message: <4b50b5f1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 escreveu:

>>> Er, no, POV-Ray uses an utterly different algorithm for this. In
>>> particular, it uses a shedload of statistical tests to reduce the
>>> number of samples taken.
>>
>> Povray still shows a lot of graininess for insuficient samples.  Lots
>> of samples still get very slow rendering.
>
> It doesn't show graininess, it shows patchiness.

#default {pigment { rgb .8 }  finish { ambient .2 diffuse .8 }}

union {
plane { y 0 }

sphere { <2,1> 1 }
sphere { <-2,2> 2 }

light_source { 3*<1,3,1> 1 area_light x,z,2,2 adaptive 0 jitter }
light_source { 3*<-3,1,-2> .5 area_light x,z,2,2 adaptive 0 jitter }

rotate y*40
rotate -x*30
translate <0,-1,8>
}

plenty of graininess in the shadow edges.  And, yes, plenty of
patchiness as for radiosity if used with few samples.

> Because it reuses a
> single sample for multiple pixels. That means it needs to take about one
> millionth of the number of samples that this program takes. Hence, a
> *slight* speed difference.

Which will mean nothing if it doesn't move on to GPU like everyone else
and begins eating dust for such slow and more realistic renderers.

> ...which still has nothing to do with *this* program.

ah, I thought you were talking about unbiased renderers in general.

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9