POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 99 lines of C++ for an unbiased ray tracer : Re: 99 lines of C++ for an unbiased ray tracer Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:20:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 99 lines of C++ for an unbiased ray tracer
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 15 Jan 2010 13:52:46
Message: <4b50b97e$1@news.povray.org>
>> Because it reuses a single sample for multiple pixels. That means it
>> needs to take about one millionth of the number of samples that this
>> program takes. Hence, a *slight* speed difference.
>
> Which will mean nothing if it doesn't move on to GPU like everyone else
> and begins eating dust for such slow and more realistic renderers.

The GPU has been producing graphics far faster than POV-Ray for decades.
It's only now that it can start to do the sorts of things that POV-Ray
can do.

I haven't yet seem a GPU renderer that can render actual curves. Also,
can any of these unbiased renderers handle scattering particle media yet?

>> ...which still has nothing to do with *this* program.
>
> ah, I thought you were talking about unbiased renderers in general.

No, I was just pointing out that this particular program may take many
hours to render something that POV-Ray does in minutes because POV-Ray
uses a totally different algorithm.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/