POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video Game FPS vs RPG Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:28:10 EDT (-0400)
  Video Game FPS vs RPG (Message 28 to 37 of 57)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Video Game FPS vs RPG
Date: 14 Jul 2009 08:04:15
Message: <4a5c743f@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
> Its likely to get more and more complex as AI
> goes from simpler scripting to more detailed stuff.

  It's rather telling how difficult good AI programming is (especially for
real-time games, where you have a small slice of a 20-millisecond time
period to calculate all the AI of all the NPCs currently interacting with
something in the game) when some games boast about having new and innovative
AI, but when you play the game, it's nothing impressive, really. Might be
slightly better than in older games, but you can still notice the patterns
and the "artificial stupidity".

  What is really happening is that the developers took some time and effort
to get a few steps forward in game AI programming, which was really difficult
and required a lot of work. Thus they themselves see it as a huge effort and
a big step forward, so they naturally use it to advertise the game. However,
the players cannot see the amount of effort and code put into it, they only
see the noticeable patterns and stupidity of the AI, and thus they are usually
not very impressed.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message