POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video Game FPS vs RPG : Re: Video Game FPS vs RPG Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video Game FPS vs RPG
From: clipka
Date: 14 Jul 2009 13:10:00
Message: <web.4a5cbb3945e8e26c5fee4dc70@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Btw, do you know what I think is the closest thing to a role-playing game
> among computer games? The Sims, and its sequels.

I guess so, yes.

>   The only thing it doesn't have is dungeon crawling and monster fighting,
> but otherwise it's difficult to get any closer to actual role-playing in
> a computer game.

Well, in that case it would even qualify as *fantasy* role-playing. But even
without the fantasy part, it still constitutes role-playing.

That's some other strange association people have: RPG == fantasy.

SciFi-RGBs have proven this connotation to be wrong.

This reminds me of a German point-and-click adventure, "The Book of Unwritten
Tales". Set in a fantasy world, one scene to encounter in the course of the
storyline is a magician and a merchant busying themselves with a role-play game
called "WoB: World of Bureaucracy" :D

(I don't know if there's an English version out there, but in case there is: If
you loved stuff like the famous Monkey Island series, then this is definitely
one to go and get!)