POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video Game FPS vs RPG : Re: Video Game FPS vs RPG Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:16:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video Game FPS vs RPG
From: Warp
Date: 14 Jul 2009 13:55:21
Message: <4a5cc689@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I'd rather watch a virtual aquarium all day long or even play Wii Sports than
> watch this virtual soap.

  Btw, 20th Century Fox has bought the rights to make a The Sims movie.

  This is honestly something I cannot comprehend. The Sims has no story,
and even its setting is mundane: Raise a family, get rich, build a house,
advance in your career. There are no distinguishing or peculiar features
in the game series. (Ok there are a few, such as the occasional alien
child, but those things are not the main idea in the game nor something you
could build a movie on.)

  How can you make a movie about The Sims? Almost *any* boring, realistic,
almost documentary-style drama could be a "The Sims movie".

  The only other alternative I can think of is not making a movie about
the game universe itself, but about people playing the game (there are
a few movies like that). However, I can't figure out how you could make
an interesting movie about people who play The Sims. There's nothing
special about people who play that game specifically.

  OTOH, given Hollywood's custom of making game movies which have absolutely
nothing to do with the game itself (apart from some names and a very loosely
similar setting), I'm not wondering that they would do this. Especially in
this case, as said, almost *anything* could pass as "The Sims movie", so
why not.

--
                                                          - Warp