POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video Game FPS vs RPG : Re: Video Game FPS vs RPG Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:26:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video Game FPS vs RPG
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Jul 2009 12:24:35
Message: <4a5cb143@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> real-time games, where you have a small slice of a 20-millisecond time
> period to calculate all the AI of all the NPCs currently interacting with

How does one normally handle this? I would think it might be best to cycle
through (say) three sets of nearby AI, evaluating a third of the AIs and
taking up the whole amount of time. It's not like real humans don't have a
60ms delay in their reaction times. :-)

I've been amused when I noticed (for example) that the AIs in the older
thief games keep moving when they're far away, but they stop walking. As in,
they'll just skate back and forth until you get close. There's only a couple
places in the game with line of sight straight enough to see it, tho.

And in bioshock, it's not unusual to hack a turret, walk away, come back 20
minutes later, and find a big pile of bodies and a half-broken turret,
indicating that the game at least *seems* to keep running all the AIs and
spawning enemies even in areas where you aren't.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."