POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video Game FPS vs RPG : Re: Video Game FPS vs RPG Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:14:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video Game FPS vs RPG
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 14 Jul 2009 13:50:48
Message: <4a5cc578$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> I've been amused when I noticed (for example) that the AIs in the older
> thief games keep moving when they're far away, but they stop walking. As
> in, they'll just skate back and forth until you get close. There's only
> a couple places in the game with line of sight straight enough to see
> it, tho.

Less to do with AI than with animation limitations. The more things you
have moving at the "best" rate, the harder your hardware needs to work.
EQ2 you can adjust this from "everything is moving at best frame rate
and best graphics resolution, but no machine in the universe will give
you better than a frame rate of like 0.001 fps doing this", to, "Stuff
uses almost no animation, textures look worse than Ultima VII, when
games ran at 640x480 and 8-bit color, and you can't see more than 20
meters in front of you." lol

In general, since you never see more than about 20 people, and 20 mobs,
and most don't move around a lot in EQ2, you can place the animation on
high, as well as the textures, and not take much of a hit. I tried
setting mine far higher on the new card I have, (which is well past what
was available at the time it came out), and only got brief lag in
"certain" stages of combat, or when moving from a low mob part of a
region to one where I could see a "lot" of them. But, its a basic
optimization that "position", and "activity" be computed, which is not
terribly high cost, compared to loading all the textures, animating the
skeleton/mesh, etc.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {