POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mission: improbable Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:16:43 EDT (-0400)
  Mission: improbable (Message 98 to 107 of 127)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Fizzle
Date: 1 May 2009 12:01:08
Message: <49fb1cc4$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 01 May 2009 09:44:45 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> Well that's not entirely true. As you may have noticed, when something
>>> actually goes right for once, I suddenly become very optimistic.
>>
>> You need to make it less "sudden" and more a way of being.
>
> Easier said than done.

Nobody said life was easy - there are things one has to work at.

>>> It's just that for the most part, my life is a failure, so usually I'm
>>> pessimistic.
>>
>> See, you need to stop with statements like "my life is a failure".
>> That's what we've been saying.
>
> And what *I* have been saying is that when you repeatedly try to do
> things and are greeted only with failure, it makes it really, *really*
> hard to remain positive.

Oscar Wilde (I think) once said something like "experience is what you
get when you don't get what you want".  You do seem to learn from the bad
and you don't give up (as evidenced by your recent success in getting a
phone number), so that's a good thing.  That's something to be positive
about.

> Most people fail sometimes, and succeed sometimes. Unfortunately, I fail
> almost *all* the time. This is extremely depressing.

You *feel* you fail almost all the time.  That's not the same as actually
failing all the time.  Count the success - as in this case - of getting
the phone number, and having the courage to ask for it.  That's a win.
The outcome, while clearly not positive - look at that as a secondary.  A
step in the right direction is getting over the shy enough to talk to
someone you only normally talk to in her professional capacity.

What it looks like from here is that you're looking at the entire
sequence of events as a total epic failure.  It's not.  There are small
successes in there and things you should be proud of having done.  So it
didn't work out with this one - ultimately, so what?  The thing is you
took a chance, and taking chances is what life is all about.  That's a
win no matter how you slice it.

> (That's probably why I get so hyperactive on the rare occasions where
> something actually works...)

That's a perfectly reasonable reaction.  People get excited when things
go their way or have a positive outcome.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> Nobody said life was easy - there are things one has to work at.

As I say, most other people have folks around them to turn to for
support and encouragement. I don't really have that.

>> Most people fail sometimes, and succeed sometimes. Unfortunately, I fail
>> almost *all* the time. This is extremely depressing.
>
> You *feel* you fail almost all the time.  That's not the same as actually
> failing all the time.  Count the success - as in this case - of getting
> the phone number, and having the courage to ask for it.  That's a win.

Sure. It is. But one win doesn't make up for a lifetime of failure.

(What I need to do is figure out the next step. In various areas. But if
I could do that... I would have already taken the next step, several
years ago.)

> What it looks like from here is that you're looking at the entire
> sequence of events as a total epic failure.  It's not.  There are small
> successes in there and things you should be proud of having done.  So it
> didn't work out with this one - ultimately, so what?  The thing is you
> took a chance, and taking chances is what life is all about.  That's a
> win no matter how you slice it.

I'm quite happy with how it went with this girl. What's depressing the
hell out of me is my repeated attempts to get a job are getting me
nowhere, my repeated attempts to have a social life are getting me
nowhere, my repeated attempts to enjoy myself aren't working... it's
just extremely demotivating when all you experience is failure.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Fri, 01 May 2009 19:43:44 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>> Nobody said life was easy - there are things one has to work at.
>
> As I say, most other people have folks around them to turn to for
> support and encouragement. I don't really have that.

You have that here.  Sure, it's not the same as having it in meatspace,
but we actually do exist.

>>> Most people fail sometimes, and succeed sometimes. Unfortunately, I
>>> fail almost *all* the time. This is extremely depressing.
>>
>> You *feel* you fail almost all the time.  That's not the same as
>> actually failing all the time.  Count the success - as in this case -
>> of getting the phone number, and having the courage to ask for it.
>> That's a win.
>
> Sure. It is. But one win doesn't make up for a lifetime of failure.

It's not "one win".  It's one of several wins.  You just keep looking at
the results and thinking that all the components that led up to that
point must also be total failures.

> (What I need to do is figure out the next step. In various areas. But if
> I could do that... I would have already taken the next step, several
> years ago.)

You did the next step - to try to make contact.  You can't control the
way people will react or the things going on in their lives that may
change their minds about spending time with you.

>> What it looks like from here is that you're looking at the entire
>> sequence of events as a total epic failure.  It's not.  There are small
>> successes in there and things you should be proud of having done.  So
>> it didn't work out with this one - ultimately, so what?  The thing is
>> you took a chance, and taking chances is what life is all about.
>> That's a win no matter how you slice it.
>
> I'm quite happy with how it went with this girl. What's depressing the
> hell out of me is my repeated attempts to get a job are getting me
> nowhere, my repeated attempts to have a social life are getting me
> nowhere, my repeated attempts to enjoy myself aren't working... it's
> just extremely demotivating when all you experience is failure.

Like I said, you're not constantly failing, you're taking small steps.

You go out and dance, don't you?  That's a social activity, and you sure
don't sound like you're failing there.

You seem to enjoy your music immensely.  That sure doesn't sound like a
failure to me.

I remember several months ago (maybe even a year ago) you talked about
meeting with one of your neighbors and having a wonderful time.  Have you
gotten together with them again?  Have you suggested maybe going for
drinks and a visit?

As for the job search, what have you done in the last few weeks?  If I
worked in a place that was as problematic as you've described your
office, I wouldn't rest until I had found something else, no matter how
many job applications I'd submitted and been rejected for.  Hell, I *did*
that.  I told you about my intolerable job (the one I quit with nothing
to go to and left myself unemployed *on my own* and *away from family and
most of my friends* for three months) and what I did to try to find
another job.  I was rejected for job after job - taking time off and
instead of enjoying myself going on interviews to be told "no, you don't
have the right certifications" or "you're overqualified for this
position".

In spite of the continual failure to find something (and I looked for
months before quitting the current job at the time in disgust with
management), I kept looking.  I networked with people, and eventually
found something.  But it didn't happen overnight, and it didn't happen
with me sitting on my hands and going "oh poor me, my life sucks".  I was
absolutely scared shitless that I was going to lose my home (and I nearly
did at that).

Post a reply to this message

>> As I say, most other people have folks around them to turn to for
>> support and encouragement. I don't really have that.
>
> You have that here.  Sure, it's not the same as having it in meatspace,
> but we actually do exist.

I sometimes start to wonder....

>> I'm quite happy with how it went with this girl. What's depressing the
>> hell out of me is my repeated attempts to get a job are getting me
>> nowhere, my repeated attempts to have a social life are getting me
>> nowhere, my repeated attempts to enjoy myself aren't working... it's
>> just extremely demotivating when all you experience is failure.
>
> Like I said, you're not constantly failing, you're taking small steps.

If I was taking small steps, I'd slowly be getting somewhere.

> You go out and dance, don't you?  That's a social activity, and you sure
> don't sound like you're failing there.

As far as learning to actually dance... sure, I fail big-style. In terms
of getting along with people... that's a little more successful. But it
doesn't help that I don't really have anything remotely in common with
the people there to start with.

> You seem to enjoy your music immensely.  That sure doesn't sound like a
> failure to me.

Unfortunately that generally doesn't impress people very much. (And
let's face it, the whole point of spending months learning to play
something is so that when you play it, people will do "wow, that's awsome!")

> I remember several months ago (maybe even a year ago) you talked about
> meeting with one of your neighbors and having a wonderful time.  Have you
> gotten together with them again?  Have you suggested maybe going for
> drinks and a visit?

Mmm... for whatever reason, they seem to be disinclined to speak to me
at the minute.

> As for the job search, what have you done in the last few weeks?  If I
> worked in a place that was as problematic as you've described your
> office, I wouldn't rest until I had found something else, no matter how
> many job applications I'd submitted and been rejected for.  Hell, I *did*
> that.

Just recently I haven't really done anything, due to an extreme lack of
motivation. It's almost impossible to motivate yourself to do something
when failure is 100% guaranteed. Nobody wants the skills I have.
(Assuming I even have them and I'm not just kidding myself.) Jayne was
telling me her husband hasn't had any work for months now - and he has
actual talent. If the talented people can't get work, what chance does
some loser like me stand?

Seriously. I can spent 3 hours looking through thousands of unsuitable
job vacancies hoping to find one that I can actually apply to. I can
apply to three or four of them. And then I can sit there and wait until
I'm fairly sure a reply isn't coming. Or I can sit and do nothing for 3
hours. Both have the same result. Nobody except me will ever know the
difference. Motivation, much?

> In spite of the continual failure to find something (and I looked for
> months before quitting the current job at the time in disgust with
> management), I kept looking.  I networked with people, and eventually
> found something.  But it didn't happen overnight, and it didn't happen
> with me sitting on my hands and going "oh poor me, my life sucks".  I was
> absolutely scared shitless that I was going to lose my home (and I nearly
> did at that).

What's your point? That you're a better human being than me? I think we
already know that.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Sat, 02 May 2009 09:56:37 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> As I say, most other people have folks around them to turn to for
>>> support and encouragement. I don't really have that.
>>
>> You have that here.  Sure, it's not the same as having it in meatspace,
>> but we actually do exist.
>
> I sometimes start to wonder....

Because of course all the hours we spend writing to you don't mean
anything?  I've said it before, I don't talk to people I don't like.
From what I've read of yours, I like you.  Why do you find that so
difficult to believe?

>>> I'm quite happy with how it went with this girl. What's depressing the
>>> hell out of me is my repeated attempts to get a job are getting me
>>> nowhere, my repeated attempts to have a social life are getting me
>>> nowhere, my repeated attempts to enjoy myself aren't working... it's
>>> just extremely demotivating when all you experience is failure.
>>
>> Like I said, you're not constantly failing, you're taking small steps.
>
> If I was taking small steps, I'd slowly be getting somewhere.

And you are.  That is something that is difficult to see from inside your
own head.  Trust me, from out here, what I've seen, you've made
significant progress in the last year.

>> You go out and dance, don't you?  That's a social activity, and you
>> sure don't sound like you're failing there.
>
> As far as learning to actually dance... sure, I fail big-style. In terms
> of getting along with people... that's a little more successful. But it
> doesn't help that I don't really have anything remotely in common with
> the people there to start with.

That's not really the point.  You get a chance to learn about
interactions with people in meatspace, and you enjoy it.  That's hardly a
failure.

>> You seem to enjoy your music immensely.  That sure doesn't sound like a
>> failure to me.
>
> Unfortunately that generally doesn't impress people very much.

Who cares?  You enjoy it, you're impressed by it, that's the important
thing.  It's something that brings you happiness, so keep doing it.

> (And
> let's face it, the whole point of spending months learning to play
> something is so that when you play it, people will do "wow, that's
> awsome!")

Having played the violin myself for 15+ years, I can tell you that's not
the only point of learning to play a piece of music.  I won't say that
that's not part of the motivation - performance is fun and nerve-wracking
all at the same time.

But the last times I've had my violin out were for myself - it helped me
relax and concentrate on the writing I was doing.

>> I remember several months ago (maybe even a year ago) you talked about
>> meeting with one of your neighbors and having a wonderful time.  Have
>> you gotten together with them again?  Have you suggested maybe going
>> for drinks and a visit?
>
> Mmm... for whatever reason, they seem to be disinclined to speak to me
> at the minute.

Have you contacted them, or have you been waiting for them to contact
you?  If you haven't said anything to them, they may be wondering what's
wrong with THEM.

>> As for the job search, what have you done in the last few weeks?  If I
>> worked in a place that was as problematic as you've described your
>> office, I wouldn't rest until I had found something else, no matter how
>> many job applications I'd submitted and been rejected for.  Hell, I
>> *did* that.
>
> Just recently I haven't really done anything, due to an extreme lack of
> motivation.

Then one could arguably make the point that your current job doesn't
really suck that much.  Having a job that sucks is one of the biggest
motivating factors for people.

> It's almost impossible to motivate yourself to do something
> when failure is 100% guaranteed.

It is if you don't get off your ass and do something about it, that's for
sure.  Especially in a contracting economy, jobs don't exactly fall out
of the sky.

> Nobody wants the skills I have.

Bullshit.  Just because you haven't found a company that's looking for
your skillset doesn't mean nobody is looking for your skills.

> (Assuming I even have them and I'm not just kidding myself.) Jayne was
> telling me her husband hasn't had any work for months now - and he has
> actual talent. If the talented people can't get work, what chance does
> some loser like me stand?

Everyone has a chance, but you have to TAKE IT and actually look, not
just give up.

> Seriously. I can spent 3 hours looking through thousands of unsuitable
> job vacancies hoping to find one that I can actually apply to.

Part of your problem is that you don't give yourself credit for what you
are capable of, so you assume you aren't qualified and you don't even try.

How do you know what you're capable of if you don't try to stretch a
little bit?  I'm not talking about jobs where they're looking for someone
with a PhD. in nuclear physics as a minimum requirement - that's one that
unless you have the degree, you don't meet the requirements for.  But
systems admin jobs, research jobs at uni - those are jobs you could do.
But you give up before you even apply, and you need to STOP doing that.

> I can
> apply to three or four of them. And then I can sit there and wait until
> I'm fairly sure a reply isn't coming.

Or you could be persistent and call them.  Express extreme interest.
Your current job sucks rocks, right?  Then do everything you can to GET
OUT.

> Or I can sit and do nothing for 3
> hours. Both have the same result. Nobody except me will ever know the
> difference. Motivation, much?

How badly do you want to get out of your current job and situation?  How
truly intolerable is it?

>> In spite of the continual failure to find something (and I looked for
>> months before quitting the current job at the time in disgust with
>> management), I kept looking.  I networked with people, and eventually
>> found something.  But it didn't happen overnight, and it didn't happen
>> with me sitting on my hands and going "oh poor me, my life sucks".  I
>> was absolutely scared shitless that I was going to lose my home (and I
>> nearly did at that).
>
> What's your point? That you're a better human being than me? I think we
> already know that.

<sigh>  Are you intentionally missing my point?  It's called a parable -
using an example to explain something.

My point is that I didn't give up and I found something good - and that's
what you need to do.  Opportunities don't drop out of the sky, you've got
to put some effort into it.  And sometimes it takes more time than you
like, but if where you are is as awful as you describe, that alone should
be enough motivation to keep up the search.

Jim

Post a reply to this message