POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Knot theory Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Knot theory (Message 33 to 42 of 42)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Knot theory
Date: 17 Feb 2009 17:45:15
Message: <499B3DFB.30607@hotmail.com>
On 17-2-2009 23:24, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> Actually the citable history for many students is whatever is on-line.
>> Nobody uses the library anymore. Unfortunately people are scanning in
>> old years of the main journals.
>
> Wow, that sucks. I can't imagine paying for myself subscriptions to
> every lame-ass journal I ever had to look something up in.  It's almost
> criminal how places like IEEE and ACM will take your work, publish it,
> then charge you to have a copy of it.

Most libraries have on-line subscription, so everything is the same
except that you don't have to go to the library anymore, but download
the PDF yourself. In case it wasn't clear, I meant unfortunate for the
student as they can access (and may have to read) much more than a year
extra every year.
10 years ago everybody used the library, so you could see citations of
20 years back or more. Then suddenly journals came on-line and the
citation horizon dropped to about 5 years (except for second hand
citations of papers they did not actually read of course). Now the
citation period is almost back to what it was and even on the way of
exceeding that, because of scanned journals.

Post a reply to this message