POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Knot theory : Re: Knot theory Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:17:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knot theory
From: andrel
Date: 18 Feb 2009 09:19:29
Message: <499C18EE.7040504@hotmail.com>
On 18-2-2009 9:01, scott wrote:
>> None of the professors had PhD's?  Heck, the science teachers in my
>> high school had PhDs.
>
> At my University it seemed to be a requirement that to become a
> professor you need a PhD (this is for the UK definition of Professor,
> which means you are head of department or some other very senior role,
> my understanding is that this is not the same in the US).

In the Netherlands it is not a requirement, but uncommon. The most
common cause is that they wanted a person from a company as professor.
As a non-PhD professor you can not act as the promotor for a PhD. You
can do the daily supervision, but for the actual defence you need
another professor that does have it's PhD.