POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Knot theory : Re: Knot theory Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knot theory
From: andrel
Date: 17 Feb 2009 17:50:48
Message: <499B3F48.6000509@hotmail.com>
On 17-2-2009 23:34, Florian Pesth wrote:
> Am Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:24:54 -0800 schrieb Darren New:
>
>> andrel wrote:
>>> Actually the citable history for many students is whatever is on-line.
>>> Nobody uses the library anymore. Unfortunately people are scanning in
>>> old years of the main journals.
>> Wow, that sucks. I can't imagine paying for myself subscriptions to
>> every lame-ass journal I ever had to look something up in.  It's almost
>> criminal how places like IEEE and ACM will take your work, publish it,
>> then charge you to have a copy of it.
>
> Subscriptions to the journals are usually paid for by the university here
> (in Germany and I would guess it is the same in he Netherlands?) so if
> you have access to the university network you usually have access to most
> journals.
True.
BTW I do have this interesting problem of being in a academic hospital
with access to most medical journals, but not the Biomedical Engineering
ones. So when I am peer reviewing a paper and want to check a reference,
I have to resort to my paper versions at home of the IEEE EMBS, that I
can't throw away for that reason and for another journal I sometimes ask
the editor if he can get me a copy. I find that a bit annoying, perhaps
I should take a partial appointment at a technical university.