POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Knot theory : Re: Knot theory Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:15:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knot theory
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 18 Feb 2009 17:58:30
Message: <499c9296@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>>>     Imagine if they'd have exploded. What would we be doing right now?
>>
>> Assuming you mean if the weapons went off - not much chance of that. I
>> reckon those subs could be completely destroyed by a variety of
>> accidents/hostilities and the nukes still wouldn't go off. They need
>> to be set off deliberately.
>
> Yes, it is almost impossible to set off the nuclear weapon "by mistake"
> due to some shock or explosion nearby, *but* the radioactive components
> of the weapon can sure be released during a normal impact/explosion and
> released into the water or atmosphere.  It may not be as severe as a
> nuclear explosion, but there will be a lot of radioactive material
> released, and the sea currents / wind will probably carry it and dump it
> as rain over Europe...

I don't think that would be particularly serious either. The sub's
reactor would probably be more dangerous than the warheads in that regard.

Obviously a spilled warhead wouldn't be harmless, but I'm not convinced
that large masses of dense metals such as Pu and U would make it very
far, least of all rainfall! And I'd like to believe that the sub's
designers might have though of this too... :)