POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Knot theory : Re: Knot theory Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knot theory
From: scott
Date: 18 Feb 2009 04:41:00
Message: <499bd7ac$1@news.povray.org>
>>     Imagine if they'd have exploded. What would we be doing right now?
>
> Assuming you mean if the weapons went off - not much chance of that. I
> reckon those subs could be completely destroyed by a variety of
> accidents/hostilities and the nukes still wouldn't go off. They need to be
> set off deliberately.

Yes, it is almost impossible to set off the nuclear weapon "by mistake" due
to some shock or explosion nearby, *but* the radioactive components of the
weapon can sure be released during a normal impact/explosion and released
into the water or atmosphere.  It may not be as severe as a nuclear
explosion, but there will be a lot of radioactive material released, and the
sea currents / wind will probably carry it and dump it as rain over
Europe...