POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open source Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:16:12 EDT (-0400)
  Open source (Message 7 to 16 of 26)
<<< Previous 6 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Open source
Date: 14 Feb 2009 15:17:50
Message: <499726ee@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 20:03:53 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> I've got it all straightened out *now*. ;-)
>>>
>>> My problem wasn't actually "getting Linux to work", but rather
>>> "getting Linux to do what I want". But in my experience, Linux package
>>> managers are often very awkward to use. You know - the whole "I want
>>> to install this one package, and no I don't want to also upgrade 3,657
>>> other packages to a different version".
>>
>> openSUSE's package management seems to do pretty well with this.  If I
>> want to install Virtualbox OSE, I just run "yast2 -i" (for a graphical
>> way to do this) or "zypper in virtualbox-ose" in a terminal window.
>>
>> The package manager figures out what's needed, resolves all
>> dependencies, and installs the necessary packages.
>
> Yeah. It's great when it works like that. But sometimes it decides that
> it wants to install version X of the thing you asked for, which depends
> on a completely different version of something critical - GCC, the Linux
> kernel, libc, whatever. Obviously, replace that and you have to replace
> half the software on your HD. :-}

Funny, I don't run into that problem - and generally haven't in the
nearly 15 years I've been running Linux.

You *can* run into this if you use nonstandard repos regularly, but I
don't.  What's in a repo like the openSUSE repos is tested so that these
types of conflicts don't occur.

Case in point:

--- snip ---

[jhenderson@krikkit ~]$ sudo zypper in virtualbox-ose
Downloading repository 'Packman Repository' metadata [done]
Building repository 'Packman Repository' cache [done]
Reading installed packages...

The following NEW packages are going to be installed:
  virtualbox-ose virtualbox-ose-kmp-default libXerces-c-28 libXalan-c-110

Overall download size: 6.2 M. After the operation, additional 26.2 M will
be used.
Continue? [YES/no]:
Downloading package virtualbox-ose-kmp-
default-1.5.6_2.6.25.5_1.1-33.1.x86_64 (1/4), 71.0 K (1.7 M unpacked)
Downloading: virtualbox-ose-kmp-
default-1.5.6_2.6.25.5_1.1-33.1.x86_64.rpm [done]
Installing: virtualbox-ose-kmp-default-1.5.6_2.6.25.5_1.1-33.1 [done]
Downloading package libXerces-c-28-2.8.0-10.1.x86_64 (2/4), 1.0 M (4.5 M
unpacked)
Downloading: libXerces-c-28-2.8.0-10.1.x86_64.rpm [done (200.7 K/s)]
Installing: libXerces-c-28-2.8.0-10.1 [done]
Downloading package libXalan-c-110-1.10-116.1.x86_64 (3/4), 862.0 K (4.4
M unpacked)
Downloading: libXalan-c-110-1.10-116.1.x86_64.rpm [done (91.6 K/s)]
Installing: libXalan-c-110-1.10-116.1 [done]
Downloading package virtualbox-ose-1.5.6-33.2.x86_64 (4/4), 4.2 M (15.6 M
unpacked)
Downloading: virtualbox-ose-1.5.6-33.2.x86_64.rpm [done (12.9 K/s)]
Installing: virtualbox-ose-1.5.6-33.2 [done]

--- snip ---

And just to make the point:

--- snip ---

[jhenderson@krikkit ~]$ rpm -ql virtualbox-ose | grep bin
/usr/bin/VBoxAddIF
/usr/bin/VBoxDeleteIF
/usr/bin/VBoxManage
/usr/bin/VBoxSDL
/usr/bin/VBoxSVC
/usr/bin/VBoxTunctl
/usr/bin/VirtualBox
/usr/bin/vditool

--- snip ---

Nope, these are not source files.  These are *binary* files from the
package I installed.

>> While not as common as it used to be, dll hell still (to what I hear,
>> not being a Windows user) happens.  But much of the time packages
>> include the version of the DLLs they need and use them rather than the
>> installed system libraries.
>
> This, of course, completely defies the entire purpose of shared
> libraries! :-D

Of course it does.  But you were lamenting that "This never happens in
Windows" - this is a big part of the reason why.

>>> Plus getting hold of a human
>>> over IRC seems to be like getting blood out of a stone. I guess
>>> everybody is in a different timezone to me?
>>
>> Try online forums instead - you're already familiar with them.  Ubuntu
>> and openSUSE have very vibrant online communities.
>>
>> I never use IRC to ask for help - just never needed that sort of
>> immediacy.
>
> No - this was for help with the open-source project I'm trying to
> contribute to, not for Linux. ;-)

And questions about VirtualBox (for example) are not out of place in an
appropriate Ubuntu or openSUSE community group.

>>> It's sorted now, it just took rather a lot of effort considering the
>>> triviallity of what I actually set out to do. ;-)
>>
>> Which was what, out of curiosity?
>
> I added a section to the user manual. (Which is written in something
> called "docbook", by the way.)

Very cool.  Make sure you note that for your CV as well, things like that
can be useful.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>> Yeah. It's great when it works like that. But sometimes it decides that
>> it wants to install version X of the thing you asked for, which depends
>> on a completely different version of something critical - GCC, the Linux
>> kernel, libc, whatever. Obviously, replace that and you have to replace
>> half the software on your HD. :-}
>
> Funny, I don't run into that problem - and generally haven't in the
> nearly 15 years I've been running Linux.
>
> You *can* run into this if you use nonstandard repos regularly, but I
> don't.  What's in a repo like the openSUSE repos is tested so that these
> types of conflicts don't occur.

I'm guessing KNOPPIX is configured to look for something silly. When I
tried to repeat the process with Ubuntu, it was fairly painless. I
remember Gentoo was always a PITA though... and Debian, for that matter.
(Debian was years ago tho.)

>> This, of course, completely defies the entire purpose of shared
>> libraries! :-D
>
> Of course it does.  But you were lamenting that "This never happens in
> Windows" - this is a big part of the reason why.

I think maybe like Darren said, people on Windows try to minimise
dependencies. For example, I remember trying to set up an email program
and discovering that you can't install it unless you have sound enabled
in the Linux kernel. (WTF?) Because the package manager thinks foomail
depends on libsound, or something.

>>> I never use IRC to ask for help - just never needed that sort of
>>> immediacy.
>> No - this was for help with the open-source project I'm trying to
>> contribute to, not for Linux. ;-)
>
> And questions about VirtualBox (for example) are not out of place in an
> appropriate Ubuntu or openSUSE community group.

Even if you want to know which one would be the best choice to run
Ubuntu on your Windows box? ;-)

>> I added a section to the user manual. (Which is written in something
>> called "docbook", by the way.)
>
> Very cool.  Make sure you note that for your CV as well, things like that
> can be useful.

And you think I embarked on this crazy mission, *why*?? 0;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/