POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open source : Re: Open source Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open source
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Feb 2009 16:40:06
Message: <49973a36$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 12:29:42 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Of course it does.  But you were lamenting that "This never happens in
>> Windows" - this is a big part of the reason why.
>
> This really hasn't been a problem in about 8 years. DLL hell was caused
> by people replacing working code in the OS directories with broken code.
> As soon as you implemented the policy that you can't overwrite
> microsoft's code with your own, the DLL hell bits went away.

I might go as far as 6 years ago, but I remember the folks doing package
management for desktop distribution in the company I worked for at the
time having to jump through all sorts of hoops to get some programs to
work together because of differences in DLL versions.  We had something
like 15,000 desktops total and had to test all applications against all
others generally before rolling them out.  We had a team of 4-6 people
who worked on the packaging.

Jim