POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open source : Re: Open source Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open source
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Feb 2009 16:46:06
Message: <49973b9e$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> work together because of differences in DLL versions.

I suppose it's not completely solved anywhere, no. But it's a lot better
than it was. At least DLL hell only affects third-party DLLs now, and
installing software that *doesn't* share DLLs won't break your code. :-)

It used to be a lot worse, tho, especially with things like third-party tcp
stacks (i.e., winsock.dll), where every browser came with a different
implementation of TCP and such.  Or the MS C runtimes, or the "New" 3D
button graphics libraries, etc.  People would do things like try to replace
the GUI libraries with their own in order to put their own "theme" on
things, thereby breaking everyone else who actually based their code on
released OS files. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"